Sunday 29 May 2011

Stardust

Filed under: Film — purplehsiaoling at 9:56 am on Saturday, November 3, 2007

My Favourite Quotes (thanks to IMDb).

[first lines]
Narrator: A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" Pointless, really…”Do the stars gaze back?" Now *that’s* a question.

[repeated line]
Yvaine: What do stars do? They shine.

The First Meeting:

Tristan: [he crashed with Yvaine and he's on her] Mother? Oh! Oh, mother. I’m so sorry. Are you all right?
Yvaine: No, I’m not and I’m not your mother. So get off me!
Tristan: [stands up] You are not my mother?
Yvaine: Do I look like I’m your mother?
Tristan: No, sorry. Are you all right? Do you want some help?
Yvaine: Help by leaving me alone!
Tristan: All right…
[begins to walk away, talks to himself]
Tristan: Oh my God! "Light the candle and think of me". I was, I was thinking of my mo… but then Victoria and the star just pumpted…
[to Yvaine]
Tristan: Oh, excuse me, madame, sorry, this may see strange but, have you seen a falling star anywhere?
Yvaine: You’re funny.
Tristan: No, really. We’re in a crater, this must be where it fell.
Yvaine: [sarcastic] Yeah, this is where it fell. It is, or if you want to be really specific up there..
[pointing to the sky]
Yvaine: is where this weird bloody necklace
[shows him the necklace around her neck]
Yvaine: came out of nowhere and knocked it out of the heavens without minding its own business. And over there is where it landed. And right here, here is where it got hit by a magical flying MORON!
Tristan: You’re the star? You’re the star? Really? Oh, wow! I’m sorry, I had no idea you’d be it. Oh, I, may I just say for advance that I’m sorry.
Yvaine: Sorry for what?
Tristan: For this.
[takes out a chain and ties it up to Yvaine's hand]
Tristan: Now, if I’m not mistaken this means you have to come with me. You’re going to be a birthday gift for Victoria, my true love.
Yvaine: [sarcastic] But of course! Nothing says "romance" like a kidnapped injured woman! I’m not going anywhere with you!

The Process of Falling:

Yvaine: [in the pirate ship] They’re going to kill us, aren’t they?
Tristan: I don’t know.
Yvaine: You know, I used to watch… I used to watch people having adventures. I envied them.
Tristan: You ever heard the expression, "Be careful of what you wish for"?
Yvaine: So I deserve to be hunted for my heart and…
Tristan: [interrupts her] I didn’t mean it like that.
Tristan: Look, I admire your dream. A shop boy like me… I never imagined an adventure this big. I just thought I’d find some celestial rock, take it home and that would be it.
Yvaine: And you got me.
[Both begin to laugh]
Yvaine: If there’s one thing I know about all my years watching Earth, is that people aren’t what they may seem. There are shop boys, and there are boys that just happened to work in a shop for the time being. And trust me Tristan, you are no shop boy. You saved my life. Thank you.
[holds Tristan's hand]
Yvaine: [in the pirate ship] Tell me about Victoria.
Tristan: Well, she… she…
[Yvaine waits for an answer]
Tristan: There’s nothing else to tell you.
Yvaine: The little I know about love is that it’s unconditional. It’s not something you can buy.
Tristan: Hang on! This wasn’t about me trying to buy her love. This was to prove to her how I felt.
Yvaine: Ah… And what’s she doing to prove how she feels about you?
Tristan: Well…
[doesn't answer her question]
Tristan: Look Yvaine, you’ll understand when you meet her, all right? If we don’t get murdered by pirates first.
Yvaine: Mmm… Murdered by pirates, heart turned out and eaten, meet Victoria… I can’t quite decide which sounds more fun…
Captain Shakespeare: Yvaine… I know what you are.
[Yvaine scares]
Captain Shakespeare: Have no fear, no one on this vessel will harm you, but there are many that would.
[brief pause]
Captain Shakespeare: Your emotions give you away, Yvaine, you must learn to control them. You’ve been glowing more brightly every day and I think you know why.
Yvaine: Of course I know why I’m glowing. I’m a star! And what the stars do best?
Captain Shakespeare: Well, certainly not the waltz.
Tristan: [approaches to dance with Yvaine, when they begin to dance, Yvaine begins to glow. While they dance, they stop] I’ll try again.
Yvaine: Ok
Tristan: [He dances pretty good with her] See?
Yvaine: Very good.
Tristan: Thank you.
[They keep dancing]
Going Home:
Tristan: You sort of, glitter now. Is it… Is it normal?
Yvaine: Let’s see if you can work it out for youself. What do stars do?
Tristan: Hmm… Attract trouble?
[Yvaine pushes him]
Tristan: All right, I’m sorry. Let me do another guess. Is it: Do they know exactly how to annoy a boy called Tristan Thorn?
Yvaine: Are you tempted?
Tristan: Tempted, by what?
Yvaine: Immortality. Let’s say it wasn’t my heart. Not me. Just a star you didn’t know.
Tristan: You seriously think I could kill anybody. Even if I could, I mean, everlasting life? I imagine it would be kind of lonely. Well, maybe if you had someone to share it with. Someone you loved. Then it might be different.

The Star’s Confession:

Yvaine: You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn’t true. I know a lot about love. I’ve seen it, centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made watching your world bearable. All those wars. Pain, lies, hate… It made me want to turn away and never look down again. But when I see the way that mankind loves… You could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and… What I’m trying to say, Tristan, is… I think I love you. Is this love, Tristan? I never imagined I’d know it for myself. My heart… It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it’s trying to escape because it doesn’t belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I’d wish for nothing in exchange - no fits. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine.

Getting Together:

Tristan: [Yvaine is having a bath and he surprises her] Excuse me..
Yvaine: [surprised] Oh!
Tristan: I think you’re in my bath.
Yvaine: Close your eyes!
Tristan: [turns around and laughs] Honestly I’m not looking. Here, I’ll turn away.
[laughs]
Yvaine: [with a towel on] Ok, you can open them now.
Tristan: Did you really mean what you said in the caravan?
Yvaine: What I…? But… You were a mouse! You were a mouse… you wanted cheese! You didn’t… I asked you to give me a sign!
Tristan: And risk you being too embarrassed to keep saying to me lovely things?
[kisses her forehead]
Tristan: You want to know what the Captain really whispered to me that day?
[Yvaine nods]
Tristan: He told me that my true love
[Yvaine begins to glow]
Tristan: was right in front of my eyes. And he was right.
[they kiss]

How It Began- Tristan’s Parents:

[Dunstan gets into the market at Stormhold. Sees a beautiful lady and stares at her. An older woman talks to him]
Ditchwater Sal: I don’t deal with time wasters.
[to her slave girl]
Ditchwater Sal: Get over it, attend the stall. I’m off to "The Slaughtered Prince" for a pint.
[goes away]
[the slave approaches him]
Slave Girl: See anything you like?
Young Dunstan Thorn: [seeing her] Umm… Definitely
[the slave laughs]
Young Dunstan Thorn: I mean. what, wha-wha-what I meant was
[sees some flowers]
Young Dunstan Thorn: These ones, the blue ones. How-how much are they?
Slave Girl: They might be the colour of your hair. Or they might be all of your memories before you were three. I can check if you like. Anyway, you shouldn’t buy the blue ones
[takes a white flower]
Slave Girl: Buy this one instead. Snowdrop. It’ll bring you luck.
Young Dunstan Thorn: But what does that cost?
Slave Girl: This one..
[meaning the flower]
Slave Girl: costs a kiss.
[the slave girl places the flower in Dunstan's jacket. He is going to kiss her on her cheek, but she moves & they kiss]
Slave Girl: Is she gone?
[meaning Ditchwater Sal]
Slave Girl: Follow me.
[She walks to the caravan behind her and Dunstan follows her. He notices she has a chain tied to her ankle]
Slave Girl: I’m a princess. Tricked into being the witch’s slave. Would you liberate me?
[Dunstan cuts the chain, but it fastens again]
Slave Girl: It’s an enchanted chain. I’ll only be free when she dies. Sorry.
Young Dunstan Thorn: Well… If I can’t liberate you. What do you want of me?
[the slaves gives him her hand and they both get into the caravan]

Nine months later:
[knocks at Dunstan's door. Dunstan opens it]
Guard: This was left at the wall for you.
[gives to Dunstan a basket which contains a baby]
Guard: Says here his name is Tristan.

Me: Beautiful, beautiful movie.  Lovely, lovely Yvaine and Tristan- they are one of my favourite couples and their love story is absolutely endearing.  Great music- kudos to Ilan Eshkeri.  Superb song when the credits roll- Take That’s Rule The World.  Brilliant screenplay- really enjoyed the unfolding of dialogues.  In short, am totally delighted with the movie.  I didn’t like the book.  Thank goodness they changed a lot of things in the movie, especially the ending!  Anyway, am now consoled by Stardust: The Visual Companion in my possession.  Will be getting the vcd or dvd next!  Stardust cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment